Thursday 10 July 2014

Bonkers, Another Perfume Blog and Persolaise are featured in a summer fragrance post on Beautifinous

Source: freefoto.com
Back in April, I received an email out of the blue from a British Beauty Blogger called Zoe W:

"My name is Zoe and I am a Beauty Blogger with a huge passion for perfume. I have been asked by Base Magazine to write an article on summer perfume and I was wondering if you would be able to help me with it.

Base Magazine is a brand new, UK-based, beauty publication that is written by Beauty Bloggers and not journalists. The aim is to provide honest opinions from real customers who haven't been paid to promote particular products over others.

To follow this theme, my angle for the summer perfume article is to ask true perfume lovers their opinions on what they love and will really be wearing this summer."

Zoe approached a number of perfume bloggers - together with several beauty bloggers - for their contributions, asking us each to answer five questions:

What olfactory groups do you enjoy wearing in the summer?

What are your top picks for new summer releases?

What is your all-time favourite fragrance for summer?

Which fragrances will you really be wearing this summer in the day and which at night?

What fragrances can you simply just not wear during the hotter months?




As things transpired, the resulting article did not appear on Base Magazine, for reasons which Zoe herself never managed to fathom, despite her best efforts. Anyway, rather than leave our collective copy on the cutting room floor, she went ahead and published her summer fragrance piece on her own blog, Beautifinous. So hop over here to read what Natalie of Another Perfume Blog, Persolaise and I had to say on the subject of summer fragrances.  We three fumeheads have a marked leaning in our selections towards niche perfumes as you will see, while the beauty bloggers' preferences are resolutely mainstream.  All 'bases' are covered, you could say!


8 comments:

Carol said...

Nice blog post; sorry it didn't get in the magazine, though. Maybe because of too many niche fragrances mentioned?

Vanessa said...

Hi Carol,

I wonder. I did express that very concern upfront in fact, but Zoe assured me that the contributors would together be covering niche and mainstream. Though maybe the editorial team of the magazine had a leaning one way or another, but not necessarily both?

Undina said...

May I suggest linking directly to the post vs. a home page? Because even today already it's not the most recent post and in a couple of weeks it'll disappear under the never read "<-- Older Posts"

I tried writing for "a magazine" just once: some intern approached me asking to shorten one of my "reflections" to meet the requirements for the piece she was doing. I decided to play along - but I've never heard back from her after that. So I assumed it didn't work out in the end. So congratulations! At least you got published somewhere ; -)

Vanessa said...

Hi Undina,

Thanks for the timely reminder about linking to the actual post - I do know I should do that but it was an oversight on my part - now fixed! Moreover Zoe has a post up on anti-cellulite oil now, so it could have been very confusing. ;)

I was interested to learn about your own experience of being asked to contribute to a magazine. It seems that there is 'many a slip betwixt cup and lip' in the publishing world, as the saying goes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this! I need to go read the article (and your email). I sort of saw this earlier in the week, and then forgot about it. ;)

Vanessa said...

Hi Natalie,

Oh yes, do. Zoe has quoted us quite extensively. :)

Lavanya said...

ooh- nice article- congratulations!. I wonder why they didn't publish it..hmmm..
This reminds me of an article for financial times i was 'interviewed' for but as a perfume collector rather than a blogger (about celebrity scents- Victoria from bdj gave my info to the writer. though i don't see myself as a collector as I don't buy as much as many other perfumistas but that's a different story..;-))..The author wasn't surewhen it would be published because apparently they aren't given that info..i think I found the article after googling it lol..so maybe Undina should try that..
;-)

Vanessa said...

Hi Lavanya,

It seems they ran with an article by another beauty blogger called Heather Nixon in the end - in the digital/print magazine at least. The editor did say to Zoe that he was still keen to use her piece - uploaded on the website was the plan - but that never happened, or not so far - so that is also a puzzle.

Interesting to learn of your interview about being a perfume collector - I would be interested to read that if you had the link. I was in a similar position once with a paragraph I had prepared for a feature KP was writing in Elle magazine - as you say, there was no indication when it was going to be published. I am not sure that one ever was, but if so, it would have been the US edition in the end.