Thursday 6 December 2018

MIA and mired in goop: a patchwork post from would-be collaborators!

Sorry for yet another hiatus between posts...there seems to have been a lot going on in my life on various fronts. I am still hugely distracted by the home renovations, which have been a case yet again of one step forward, several steps back, with more 'sudden death' least worst decisions at every turn. I said to the tiler yesterday: 'Whatever would you do if I wasn't here? You know, if I was at work?' 'I'd ring you...as often as necessary!' he replied, quick as a flash.

This past couple of days we have had different lots of goop - the 'goop of the day' is pictured below. One lot was black, one lot was grey, yet I was warned that the latter might turn Truffle's paws blue. Yes, it has been a challenge to say the least to keep her off the affected areas, yet it was actually me that ended up prematurely stepping on the floor yesterday and sinking into the quagmire in one particularly slow drying spot. A case of the Hollywood Utility of Fame, you might say. Or maybe not. Then the front room is full of all my laundry paraphernalia, along with the fascia of the shower tray, which must be allowed to rest in state in its natural curved position(!); the dining room is crammed with white goods diaspora, and there is nowhere frankly to be, and to feel comfortable and at home. I tell myself it will be lovely in the end, though my floors are still insufficiently level to meet the spec of the flooring system being used (for a variety of insurmountable and/or unforeseeable reasons with which I shan't trouble you), such that there is a very real risk it will ride up, peel, separate, move, or undulate underfoot as soon as the fitter has gone. Not for nothing do they call it a 'floating' system...





The other thing that has consumed a lot of my attention lately is knitting, which I know is not of interest to some (or most!) readers. I sold quite a lot of my woolly wares at my friend Gillie's Open House pottery event the other weekend, the money from which will come in very handy in the absence of any work at the moment. I went on a wool replacement buying spree after the weekend, laying waste to my PayPal balance, which always feels like free money, and have been gleefully opening package after package of jewelled balls of yarn.








One particular obsession is with the brand Scheepjes, which has named every shade after a different Dutch town. I am slowly collecting examples from every colour family (and part of The Netherlands!) like a demented magpie, leading Tara of A Bottled Rose to remind me that this current urge with adding to my wool stash was 'like Farrow & Ball tester pots all over again'. She is spot on there!  





I still have outstanding knitted commissions - and am always on the lookout for others ;) - all of which has meant that I have not been feeling like writing the blog. Perfume generally seems quite far down my list of preoccupations at the moment, though I do still wear it at least every other day. I have a number of perfume related posts in mind, even, but they are simply not ready to come out...


So then I had the bright idea that I would share with you instead some of the recent communications I have had from companies who write to my blog email address, asking me to collaborate in some shape or form. The inquiries really are quite varied as you will see, and I will try to group them thematically.


Would-be guest writers


"I'm a fan of your site and feel like you cover the hunting space very well. I'm writing to see if you accept guest content."

The hunting space???

Product plugs / review requests 

"Pure Hemp Plus is a range of natural oils and honeys containing cannabidiol or CBD...Might this be something you would kindly consider covering at all? As a how to regain balance during Christmas Party season perhaps, or how to get through ones daily commute?"


I think Val has the drugs angle nicely covered in her Strange Tales series, thank you. ;)


"My name is Kelsey and I work in the marketing department at CheapOair.com. I'm writing to you because I came across the content on your website, and I really enjoyed your writing style....we have created a guide on eco-friendly travel and how to keep the Earth enjoyable for our children, and our children's children! I was writing to see if you would be interested in sharing this post on your page. You can find the post here:"

I find the capitalisation of CheapOair oddly unsettling, never mind its irrelevance to perfume, though it is true that I travel a fair bit. Also, I have no children.

"I wanted to reach out to you to see if you'd be interested in receiving a review copy of (perfumer's) new book."

You lost me at "reach out".

"We had contacted you earlier because we believe your website visitors would benefit from knowing about Furniture.com. Have you had a chance to look at our new site yet? Not only do we offer a database of furniture from major retailers, but we also have a daily updated local Sales Finder to help users find the best deals in their area. You can check out our Sales Finder here:"

My reply: "I am blocked from access to your website, as I outside California. Moreover, most of my readers are. Plus it is a perfume website, albeit the odd reader in California may conceivably be on the lookout for a sofa."

"I hope you’re well and having a wonderful week so far? I just wanted to get in touch as I wanted to see if you were interested in reviewing a beloved fragrance of the 60’s, for any upcoming fragrance features...If you have fond memories of being young and carefree, this fragrance will have you feeling a sense of nostalgia. But also for those who weren’t born in the 60’s/70’s you can also embody the era with the gorgeous scent."

You lost me at "wonderful week". Also repetition of "wanted". And your efforts to cover all bases demographically are somewhat transparent.


Requests for participation on other sites

"Without wasting any of your time, I wanted to ask if you'd be interested in sharing your favourite tip to making money online for a huge post I'm writing."


What money online? Does he mean selling my stuff on eBay?

Unusual invitations 

"We would love to invite you to attend an immersive experience with (perfume brand)."

I am feeling immersed enough as it is, thank you.

"This is just a gentle reminder to let you know that we will be hosting the first 'Third Thursday' poetry reading event in (perfume brand's) 'Poet' store, in Westfield White City this Thursday evening.

Even if I didn't live 160 miles away from White City, I would in principle decline any invitation which was accompanied by "gentle reminders". Also, "first Third Thursday" sounds like a contradiction in terms, though on reflection it is indeed possible.

"Will you be attending Pitti Fragranze this Fall?"

No, and not next year either,  or any year! 

Miscellaneous gibberish

"I went through your blog in detail and found that you are actively creating contents on your blog."

Do some blogs have inactively created contents then? Or no contents?

"I am Jack from Coshow Cosmetics Company, as a professional OEM/ODM cosmetics manufacturer in Shanghai, China. With the best quality products, competitive price and timely delivery have being stable cooperation with some ." (sic, including intriguing ending)

Can you tell I am preoccupied, hehe? ;)

Back to my sloping floor issue...






12 comments:

Unknown said...

When you home is like a battleground it's no wonder you don't feel like waxing lyrical on perfume! You're blog is still entertaining though :)
Love the Scheepjes wool chart - gorgeous colours.
Hope your house pulls itself together soon.

Vanessa said...

Hi Bejoux Noir,

Thanks for your understanding and good wishes. Another aspect to the works is that doors and windows are of necessity left open all day, because the workmen are coming in and out so often - albeit not through the window, admittedly, that was something to do with a cable - so it is cold in the house even with the heating on!

And thanks for endorsing my incipient Scheepjes habit!

Tara said...

Hi V, You even manage to make a house renovation project that would have me treating my hair out into an entertaining read.

You are polite to reply to those unsolicited and often bizarre emails, though I assume you ignore some.


Is that your own clay head modelling one of your hats?! Brilliant.

AustralianPerfumeJunkies said...

THOSE WOOL COLOURS! O M G!
So beautiful.
Portia xx

odiferess said...

Hi Vanessa,
I too get those "Will you be attending Pitti Fragranze' emails. They make me sigh wistfully. I don't reply, but if I did it would read "Yes, if you can help me out with an air fair, hotel room, expenses and a journalist fee"!
I think it must be a good indication of how many bloggers take sponsorship. We are the last of the 'I just like writing' generation...
Good luck with the last of the renovations. That photo of the cat flap infant of soggy floor make me fear for Truffle's little not blue paws. x

Vanessa said...

Hi Tara,

You have to laugh or you would cry. My floor is currently rising up against me, and am finding that the most testing challenge of all, given that it has only just been laid!

I do ignore some emails, though never the invitation ones, because if I do it will be sure to bring a 'gentle reminder' upon myself. ;)

That is my own head - the one Gillie did - No 6 of 19 I think it is now!

Vanessa said...

Aren't they superb, P? I definitely have a new 'habit' / obsession. They truly have every shade - and nook and cranny of Holland! - covered. x

Vanessa said...

Hi odiferess,

I am with you on the Pitti fair - or any other one indeed. I have been invited to events in Washington and Milan as well. But Westfield Shopping Centre is already too far, especially in the week.

You are spot on about us being the last of the writing for pleasure generation. More and more bloggers - a lot of them in the beauty sphere, but also in perfume - are writing posts to order, and not always in a transparent way...x

lady jane grey said...

V., you might know the Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, who also did some architectural work, and in his houses he sported uneven floors. He maintained that even floors are not own to human nature - just an idea for your renovation...

Vanessa said...

Hi Lady Jane Grey,

I do indeed know of Hundertwasser, and his undulating dwellings. Thank you...that is the most unexpected and eclectic reassurance I could have received!

crikey said...

Yikes! So much household kerfuffle (but: France! that side of the house story is so very wonderful.)

Congrats on the knitting sales. Though, seeing the array in that photo, I am not even slightly surprised that they were snapped up.

The lovely wool chart made me think of this "50 shades of Scotland" print I've seen in a local shop: https://curiouserandcuriouser.com/products/50-shades-of-scotland-by-emily-mackenzie

Vanessa said...

Hi crikey,

Kerfuffle to the max,indeed. Am on the point of cancelling the plumber who was meant to install the suite tomorrow as the floor is coming adrift in places. But yes, France is the more upbeat aspect to my life for sure!

Thanks for your kind comments about my knitted wares. And how much did I love the "50 shades of Scotland". Inspired! Must send to my brother and SIL.