Monday 14 February 2022

Pink grenade : how Viktor&Rolf Bonbon (flower)bombed my search for myself

Source: Soundcloud
 

It's Valentine's Day again... regular readers know better than to come to Bonkers looking for inspiration on the Ten Best Rose Perfumes to give your loved one, or anything else of that predictable romantic ilk. Which is not to say that I haven't written posts in the past tailored to this (sadly increasingly commercial) occasion - several may come up in this link - but the post that popped into my head to write this morning is more pink in its inspiration than the classic deep red of rose and heart motifs...

For at the weekend a friend in the US sent me a link to a Luxe magazine article; it lists the "37 Best Perfumes for Women", with the byline: "Find your signature scent". You can immediately tell that this piece was aimed at a mainstream audience, for perfumistas prefer to own fragrance wardrobes, on the basis that "more is more". Anyway, each of the 37 perfumes listed had won a separate category, which included "Best Luxury", "Best value", "Best floral", "Best for night", "Best as gift" (another notion we don't hold with, unless the person has specifically requested said scent as a gift!), "Best over 50" (Dior J'adore- pardon?!?), "Best for young", and so on and so forth in that reductionist and inevitably doomed pigeonholing vein. FYI, Black Opium was "Best for night", which says it all right there. And how Byredo Bal d'Afrique could take the prize for "Best earthy" beats me. Where is the oakmoss and patchouli? And right at the top of the list was the perfume deemed "Most popular"- or should that be "Best popular" for the sake of consistency? - namely Viktor&Rolf Flowerbomb.

Seeing this accolade awarded to Flowerbomb fired me up with indignation, which may have coloured my reply to the friend:

"Ah, that list had more of a 'designer' bias than the niche perfumes I am mostly into, and when that happens I always wonder if the perfume house has chucked them a load of money to promote their product. I say this, because Viktor&Rolf gets a mention, and if I do an Internet search for my blog - Bonkers about Perfume - up comes a load of images of V&R bottles as the first result, even though that clearly has zilch to do with the search terms. So I tend to completely disregard 'Best of' lists in women's magazines, sorry!"
 
 

 

I may have been a bit harsh there, but I have been really exercised by the monotonous regularity with which Bonbon ads bombard the search results for the blog, the butterfly-shaped bottle serving as an additional taunt, in view of my online "flittersniffer" identity. It doesn't happen with any search engine, mind - just on Microsoft Bing, which I have on my netbook. Google has no ads, whether accessed through my Firefox browser (desktop PC) or Chrome (phone). I spend most time on my netbook though, so the pink-winged bottles will continue to torment! Do let me know if you use Yahoo or any other search engine (eg Duckduckgo?), and get ads as the first search result.
 
I would also be interested to know whether you would assume that Flowerbomb really is "the most popular perfume" through its own merits, or whether a massive marketing budget has managed to lob it front and centre of consumer consciousness, like a great big pink grenade on a mercenary mission. And I don't necessarily even mean by greasing reviewers' palms with silver - which is mere supposition on my part, after all - it could be by aggressive in-store promo campaigns, or saturated magazine advertising, or SEO-jiggery pokery, or any other kind of above or below-the-line spending.

Anyway...I guess I got myself a bit worked up - more over the nefarious power of brands to buy exposure and/or influence than the mere fact of my blog not having the prominence you would expect for an exact match of the search phrase. Tomorrow I will sally forth as is customary, and hoover up any out of date Valentine's bargains I spy in the form of flowers or foodstuffs. I would say "in a therapeutic act of 'self-care'", but I have come to dislike the expression "self-care" every bit as much as "uptick", "put food on the table", and "baked in". "Baked in" being my newest and most irritating mot du jour - usually used in connection with Boris's character flaws rather than to denote the inclusion of dried fruit in a cake. That's assuming you have the funds to put the ingredients for food on the table.

Then tonight I am off for a girls' night in with two friends. As an offering I am taking a large jar of Sauerkraut, a partly used bottle of magnesium tablets, and a small hot water bottle cover I knitted for the hostess's son's puppy**. Oh, come to think of it - that is red (though it looks more like "hot pink" in this photo, haha).

Happy Valentine's Day, however you are spending it!
 



**NB The hostess and I do have a long and honourable tradition of unconventional present exchanges - packets of quinoa, half bars of chocolate, open bottles of wine and life-limited fruit have also featured.


14 comments:

parfumista5 said...

dear Vanessa!
I, too, would be horrified if I was connected to Flowerbomb in any shape or form... *shudder*
not much else to comment, other than that your very cute puppy hot water bottle cover instantly reminded me of Castelbajac's fragrance from 2001, which i loved and rebought a few years ago, only to find out i got the edt and not the edp version.. ah well!
cheerswendy

Ines said...

Hope you had a lovely time! I also spent my Valentine's in the company of lovely female friends.

Vanessa said...

Hi Wendy,

Haha, yes, I would ideally rather be demoted in the search rankings by a more distinguished brand. ;)

Oh my goodness...I had to look up that Castelbajac perfume and it absolutely looks like a red hot water bottle - a quilted one at a guess. What an unusual design!

Vanessa said...

Hi Ines,

Thanks very much - we had a good old chinwag over a glass of wine - I am glad you also had a good night with your friends.

Tara said...

Hi V

Yeah I don't believe Flowerbomb got top spot on merit for one minute. I now loud is popular but would have thought it pretty dated by now. I'm well and truly out of the loop though.

Loved reading those phrases that grate on you. Mum is the same. Her current annoyance is the use of the phrase 'mood music' which is used by reporters in relation to the mood at Westminster.

Vanessa said...

Hi T,

I am well and truly out of the loop too, but am suspicious of the whole Viktor&Rolf stable now. ;)

Love your mum's choice of "mood music" - I can just hear Laura Kuenssberg say it too. It is right up there with "direction of travel" and another of my bugbears,"to be across something", in the sense of covering or following it.

AustralianPerfumeJunkies said...

Hey Vanessa,
My personal anti mot de jour is wellness. Gah! Oh, and It is what it is.

Perfume? V&R? Dunno.
I did go to the season launch for one of our biggest distributors yesterday and was sniffing something and mid sniff thought, What a load of shite. Out of the two dozen things we sniffed only one, maybe two, even lifted my eyebrows. Sure, I'm a bit jaded, but it feels like the passion has gone out of perfume creation. Fingers crossed for something truly inspiring in the near future.

Portia xx

Vanessa said...

Hi Portia,

"Wellness" is pretty high on my list too, but I had momentarily forgotten it! And you all know how much of a downer I have on "gifting".

I so agree that the passion has gone out of perfume creation. It is about playing safe and tweaking tried and tested crowd pleasers to come up with the next "ever so slightly different" iteration.

AustralianPerfumeJunkies said...

GIFTING! GIFTED!
100% cringe, such a lie.
Press Bottle, call it what it is.

Undina said...

First, I have to agree with you that it is doubtful that FB got “up there” all on its own - and to prove my opinion about it I want to remind you about one of my old posts (you read it back then): https://undina.com/2014/07/27/everything-is-relative/
And I would be also upset to be “mixed” with something like that!

Second, I have to admit that I felt rather disappointed: seeing that asterisk, I anticipated some details on the unusual recipient of the water bottle holder. Or at least an explanation on the reason for at least one of the other unconventional gifts choice.

And finally… I can’t half-way change a name for my periodic Sunday series… So, you’re stuck with those from me for a while (I have at least 3 more planned :) ). And I can’t do anything about “gift” (as a noun): it’s a common word in the US English, used much more often than “present.” Sorry :)

Vanessa said...

Hi Undina,

Oh wow, I had forgotten about that futuristic post - what a scary fantasy that was! And how funny that you featured a bottle of Viktor&Rolf Bonbon at the end...

Sorry to have shortchanged you on the background to my unusual dinner offering. The hot water bottle cover was a commission I had undertaken for my friend for her son's puppy - who may be nearly a dog by now, as it took me a while to figure out how to adapt the pattern. Not sure why he needs it particularly - to keep his pet bed warm in the cold weather, I guess, like humans using hot water bottles?

The Sauerkraut was a gift for the hostess's mother as I am trying to avoid fermented foods (too much histamine which fuels allergies / eczema), and she loves the stuff, while the magnesium tablets were not the dose I like to take, so I wanted to pass them on to a fellow supplement user.

Re your Sunday series, you are of course excused - your blog, your rules! Plus as you say, "gift" is very commonly used over there.

Vanessa said...

Hi Portia,

LOL at Press Bottle....;) Or PR Freebie, one could also say.

Anonymous said...

Nothing says love like a knitted hot-water bottle cover...AnnieA

Vanessa said...

Aw, thanks, Annie A!