Thursday 21 July 2022

Not A Clockwork Orange or spider's legs effect, but not quite nothing either: Uklash Eyelash Serum review

 


As I have got older, I have become more and more dissatisfied with my appearance. Where to start? The lack of definition round my jawline (aka flapping jowls), the creeping grey that I try in vain to pass off as "elective silver", the nasolabial folds that look more or less gouged depending on factors I have yet to fathom, my sparse eyebrows and lashes, dry eyes, crepey, hooded eyelids, and pronounced lip lines I am surprised to have acquired as a non-smoker. On the plus side, I don't have bags under my eyes or wrinkles on my decolletage, if that is not too grand a term for it, although any budding dendrologists amongst you could have a field day determining my age by the concentric rings round my neck.

At the same time as this is all going on, I am wearing make up less and less often, in a bid to prevent recurrences of my several kinds of dermatitis, about which I should really write another post sometime, while conceding that my eyes can look a bit like a startled woodland creature without artificial enhancement. As my ex used to ask me on the rare occasions when I went barefaced: "Aren't you going to paint any eyes on?" And thus it was that one of the many Facebook ads you spot while mindlessly scrolling - and which pander to your insecurities - caught my eye...for an eyelash serum called Uklash. I was not even aware of the existence of this product category, but before I knew it I was bombarded by ads from a veritable thicket of brands, all fronted by fresh-faced users with incredibly doll-like lashes. Most impressive of all was the video showing how one woman's lashes had developed after two weeks, eight weeks, and twelve weeks of daily application. After just a fortnight her eyelashes had magically begun to sprout, while by the three month mark she was batting spectacular spider's legs at the camera.

So remarkable were the transformations I saw in the testimonials for Uklash, that after checking the serum didn't contain any known allergens I dropped nearly £40 on a tube at the end of April, and embarked on my own three month "lash growing journey", hehe. The product applicator is like a very fine paintbrush - as you get with liquid eyeliner, not that I have ever used that - and you paint it on each eyelid just behind your top lashes (only the upper set!) in one nifty sweep...that's for those with a steady hand and 20/20 vision, I might add. I sometimes took a couple of go's, but never exceeded the amount of liquid dispensed in one "pull" out of the tube. Here are the ingredients for anyone interested, though unusually for me I didn't really pay much attention to them - I was already sold on the miracle to come!

Infused with a blend of vitamins, peptides and extracts. Key ingredients like Biotin Peptide, Vitamin B5, Myristoyl Pentapeptide-17 & Green Tea Extract

GRAPHIC IMAGE ADVISORY! Truly, front facing cameras are the spawn of the devil...;)


May 1st - Day 1


Well, I have to say that my mileage did indeed vary from the woman in the video ad. It was five weeks before I noticed any change, and then only a subtle one, such that I am not sure anyone in my circle would have clocked a difference. But at that point I do believe my lashes were a tad thicker and longer (maybe). I should have measured them at the outset, though that might not have been very straightforward to do.


June 6th - five weeks in 

At the 11.5 week mark I don't see much further change, though there may have been a little, and will continue to use the tube till it dries out. There is a money back guarantee if you don't see any results, and though I am slightly tempted to invoke it, I have seen a difference, so I don't really qualify. Here is what the company promise:

Real results - up to 55% longer and 75% more voluminous looking lashes

I guess "up to" covers a multitude of sins...


June 29th - 8.5 weeks in

Here are some of the brand's "before and after" photos. Do take a look - some of the results are frankly astonishing. I am afraid I can't reproduce any in this post, as they all seem to be in a webfile format. I am reassured to see that quite a few of the women charting their progress have had considerable difficulty photographing their lashes without tilting their eyeballs up and back at a stupid angle. My attempts were even more unflattering I would say, but it was all in the interests of scientific experiment and can't be helped. ;)


July 3rd - 9 weeks in - I am well lit!

Was the £37.95 worth it? Well, kind of, because I did derive a hugely enjoyable sense of anticipation waiting for my lashes to do something, not unlike the feeling of excitement the novice gardener derives from chucking a packet of wild garden seeds over a bare flowerbed and hoping for the best. Plus there has been an improvement, and though I doubt anyone would notice who sees me without makeup, a little mascara goes a lot further now, so something has changed. 

I shan't come back when I am at the twelve week mark as this is Bonkers about Perfume, and as you know we don't do things by the book. I took a photo of myself just now, but it is the same as the earlier ones and I don't want to spam you with too many mugshots. Plus I don't think anything more is going to happen now! But remember that you may get better results if you fancied having a go. I think I saw fractionally more growth in my right eye actually, which was the one where I had a steadier hand doing the application. Well, it was fun, and hey...who wants to look like Malcolm McDowell anyway?


Source: happymag.tv






6 comments:

Tatiana said...

I think you look lovely for your age. In fact I often look at the photos you post and wish that I looked that good. My eyes are far more hooded and my jowls are akin to the ones sported by hound dogs. Lol.
The active ingredient in this serum that causes your lashes to grow is Isopropyl Cloprostenate. It's a prostagladin analog and usually takes about 12 weeks to begin to see the full effects. It lengthens the growth phase of the lashes. If one lash serum doesn't work you can try to find another serum with a slightly different prostagladin analog such as Lilash with Isopropyl Phenylhydroxypentene Dihydroxycyclopentylheptanate.
I've found that Neulash irritates my eyes. I got the best lash growth with RapidLash. Right now I'm using RevitaLash and it's ok.
You just need to be aware that there are side effects with these serums. They can darken the lash line, turn light colored eyes to brown and they can damage the meibomian glands leading to permanent dry eyes.

Undina said...

Where do I start? ;)
I’m surprised that you do not see the progress: I did a couple of screenshots of your photos, cropped everything out leaving just one eye (left!) - and you can clearly see the difference. You can do those picture manipulations on your phone, but if you can’t, I can send you my results.
Next. Unless you’re using Latisse (a prescription one), these serums do not change the lashes that you naturally have, it’s physically impossible, same as with head hair. What they do (when they work, there are many different, based on different ingredients, including medicinal ones), they prolong the period your own lashes “stay put” on your eye - so they grow to be longer. Also, since more of your lashes “coincide” in their lifespan on your eyes, they may look thicker. I’m not sure if any other claims of conditioning your eyelashes might be true: it’s a minuscule amount of product that you put on, so it can’t be covering anything “from the outside” (unlike hair products you use for you head hair).
I saw results of such a serum on one of the YouTube content creators: it was scary! She has good lashes. But after using the serum she got very long spider-like lashes. She stopped, and it is reverting to normal.
Speaking of reverting… You do know that whatever effect you’ve got is not permanent, don’t you? Once you stop using, your lashes will go back to where they were.
I have one of these serums, but I don’t use it regularly, so I’m not sure I’m getting any results :)

Vanessa said...

Hi Tatiana,

Wow, thanks for stopping by, as you are so evidently a lash serum expert. How you managed to spell that long chemical name correctly is a feat in itself, and I was really interested to learn more about this product category - you clearly know a lot about the science behind it.

It was also important to learn about the side effects. I have noticed my lash line darkening, though as I often use eyeliner that isn't too much of an issue. And I already have hazel eyes - if they get any darker that is fine by me. BUT I also suffer from blepharitis, so I need to take care of my meibomian glands. I had actually heard of those! Of course the serum manufacturer doesn't mention any of this...

Oh, and thanks for your kind comments about my face - I suspect we are all more critical of our own appearance than others would be.

Vanessa said...

Hi Undina,

Like Tatiana, you are very knowledgeable about this product area - I should have known you would be! I think I know how to do the single eye cropping - I managed to crop out my lower face in a couple of these shots, so I can have a go at that and look at the eyes close up.

I had no idea that the serum worked by prolonging the growth cycle of the lashes - it was very much a "black box" kind of product for me (quite literally!), and I am surprised at the lack of curiosity I displayed in knowing how any changes came about. I do think my lashes became a little thicker - and even a little darker, maybe.

I have also seen some ludicrous transformations on the Internet where the lashes became so long you would think they'd need to be tied back like curtains for practical reasons. There is definitely an optimum length, though I would have preferred a bit more of a dramatic look.

I didn't know the effect is temporary(!) - another major point that passed me by, hehe - so I might ring my optician and check if it is okay to finish this tube at least; I am a bit worried about my blepharitis now, not that I think it has got any worse since using the serum.

AustralianPerfumeJunkies said...

I'm 100% here to look like Malcolm McDowell please Vanessa.
It's strange to me that you are becoming less happy with how you look. You're beautiful. Elfin. Fairy-like.
That dick wad who told you to paint some eyes on can go jump.

What I do love is posts about doing something fun and easy to give yourself an adventure, thanks for bringing us on the ride.
I'm a "glue the lashes on" kinda guy and never really took much notice of my own but went and had a real hard look at them before responding. I definitely have some, they are a nice colour, the length fits my eyes. Fingers crossed they don't join the rest in going grey too soon.
Portia x

Vanessa said...

Hi Portia,

Haha, it was really interesting to get your perspective on it all as a man - and a man in drag! Two for the price of one, hehe.

Kind of you to bolster my confidence - I do think I look gaunt and drawn, and jowly - sometimes more than others. The bathroom mirror is the kindest (last picture). Every other mirror in the house is pure evil! And don't get me started on my front facing camera, haha.

I can well believe that glue on lashes would suit your stage act, while your natural ones sound perfectly appropriate for your daytime persona. ;)