Monday 10 October 2022

BNNIB (Brand New Not in Box): Sarah Jessica Parker less Lovely than expected



Another bitesize post - a blogging amuse-gueule if you will - about an unusual discount item spotted in a branch of B & M (formerly B & M Bargains) in Stafford the other day. I popped back this afternoon to take a better photo and can confirm that this item, reduced from £18.99 to £12.60, is - perhaps not surprisingly - still for sale. Reduced in price, and sadly also radically reduced in terms of its missing centrepiece of a full bottle of Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely.

I always used to say that Lovely is one of the early celebrity scents that punched above its price tag. Well, that is even more the case now that this Lovely-shaped hole is valued at a mere £6.39. For 100ml! The rollerball is 10ml and the body lotion 200ml, and I cannot see how such a modest price reduction is justified...For on a purely pro rata basis the rollerball would therefore be worth 64p(!), and the body lotion just under a whopping £11.96, which is 87% more than the perfume that isn't there. That's never right.

The maths gets even more off kilter when you compare this set to one costing £9.99 and containing 3 x 10ml rollerballs: one of Lovely plus two of its flankers (Born Lovely and Sheer Lovely); it is also on sale in B & M, with all three perfumes still present and correct in the box. Each 10ml costs £3.33, much more than a tenth of the £6.39 the absent 100ml bottle is supposedly worth. And I know that smaller quantities cost proportionately more per ml, but still...even if the rollerball in the discounted gift set were worth twice 64p, the difference versus the trio set is quite stark.

There are the makings of an absorbing algebra problem here, I sense! 3 x a = £9.99, while a + c = £12.50. (where b = bottle = £6.39 = missing.) If we now decide that a = £3.33 in both sets, that leaves a value for the lotion of £9.27, but there is still no escaping from the lowball price of £6.39 for b! If anyone would like to take the full price of £18.99 and reallocate fair values to all three items that should be in there, be my guest. ;) 



And you do have to admire the sheer effrontery of the person who removed the bottle from its box. The perfume was presumably pilfered, for I cannot imagine the store allowing a customer to buy the bottle on its own, the way they usually condone my purchases of lone bottles of mineral water from a previously broached polythene multipack.

For anyone who manages to find a complete set, this is certainly a bargain..."a steal", I could almost say. 

Speaking of which, we can at least take comfort in the fact that the thief will smell lovely...;)

7 comments:

Catlady1649 said...

I can only assume that some cheeky thief has stolen the bottle. I'll have a look in B&M next time I'm in there for a complete set

Vanessa said...

Hi Catlady1649,

Yep, I think that has to be the explanation. Good luck on your hunt in B & M. I also picked up a Jasper Conran Woman set there for a friend. Luca Turin gave it four stars in an update to Perfumes: The Guide, and if you are not familiar with it, it is like a poor man's Cristalle? Another very good example of a celebrity scent, which I suppose you could also call it.

My review here...

https://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/2009/10/jasper-conran-woman-four-star-sleeper.html

Anonymous said...

You've done my poor head in - I don't have a brain for maths! Obviously someone at B&M doesn't either. I rather liked SJP's Covet.

Ooooh, a Cristalle dupe. Must get a sniff of that. Cristalle was my "wedding" perfume, so I will always be fond of it, although (my usual refrain) it's not the same now.

Jillie

Tara said...

Hi V

I know it's a discount store but I still find it odd they're selling an item that has been 'tampered with', as it were. Even with a reduced price tag that makes no sense.

I don't have a B&M near me but I remember Caroline Hirons said she'd always buy a Victoria's Secret body spray by the till when she went.

Vanessa said...

Hi Jillie,

I did my own head in with those equations, haha - it may well be up Undina's street though. ;) I have a mini of SJP Covet, the scent SJP originally wanted to make, I believe, but which she thought too "out there" for her debut release. It is unusual in the same way Lolita Lempicka is, perhaps?

Oh how nice that you wore Cristalle for your wedding - I prefer the edt to the edp, but am not in a position to say how much they have changed. For her birthday I did track down a partial bottle of the vintage stuff for a friend whose signature scent it is, and she was pleased to be reunited with the scent as she remembered it.

Vanessa said...

Hi Tara,

It is very odd of them to sell the box like that, I agree. Especially with the bonkers pricing. Maybe they hope someone will buy it who has the perfume already and would be pleased to get the lotion and a travel spray to complement it - for just £12.60(!).

We have two B & Ms in Stafford, and two branches of Home Bargains, my go-to destination for cheap Cava and dishwasher tablets. I will look out for that Victoria's Secret spray in B & M now you have mentioned it...

Undina said...

I wouldn’t be seeking any logic there :) But unless you can buy a mini and lotion cheaper somewhere, it IS a bargain ;)
I wouldn’t be concerned with the “tempering” aspect since all three items are independently packaged. But I agree that it looks very strange, and I’m not sure it should be offered at all.